My blog "Farah in Africa" has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://mamagirl.com
and update your bookmarks.

A Kazuri present for Sreisaat

Thursday, April 8, 2010 8:31 AM Posted by MamaGirl
Just a quick post for my sister who kept on bugging me for Kenyan beads. Apparently, older sister is into beading/crafting these days and so the persistent request for beading materials. I have, unfortunately, misunderstood her request. I thought she wanted a beaded piece of jewelry so while in Nairobi last week, I went to this Kazuri bead shop and bought her this:

I never had an inkling that a ceramics bead necklace like this could cost a lot! For a volunteer relying mainly on a meager allowance, it cost  me my one month food budget *lol* I know I have made huge efforts to lose weight before, but  depriving myself of food for a month is an idea not too appealing to me these days.  Just kidding. 

I don't know anything about jewelries let alone beads but these Kazuri beads are beautiful, are of high quality materials and hand-made by Kenyan women. The cost may be a tad too high for a volunteer like me but I'm glad to know that purchasing items there goes to helping disadvantaged Kenyan village women earn extra income. 

Just a little information, kazuri is a Swahili term meaning small and beautiful. So to my dear sister Sreisaat, a Khmer term meaning  beautiful, here is my something kazuri as my gift on your birthday. Hope ya like it!


***
For those who are wondering how I was able to post this when there is no electricity nor internet connection where I work, this was set in auto-post mode. *grins* Wow, I feel like soo tech-savvy! hihihi.

2 Response to "A Kazuri present for Sreisaat"

  1. Four-eyed-missy Says:

    Thanks guid, Girl.
    Pa-konsensya ka pa gid, sige na gani padal-an ta ka dira Lucky Me Pancit Canton! Hadlok kami magniwang ka a hihihi

  2. Ron Cooper Says:

    Wrapped up in tradition!

    Ron

    http://inspiredbyron.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment